Thursday, February 03, 2005

Carpe Diem?!?

people are always going on about "live for the day." but if you live for today, what about tomorrow? if I lived for today, i would go to into austin right now and spend all my money on all the cool stuff they have down there! but then tomorrow, i wouldn't have any money left and if i got hungry and the commons was closed, i would starve. of if an emergency came up i would be SOL. but you can't always live for tomorrow or you'll miss what's going on today. But what is college and other school if not living for the future? and you obviously can't live in the past, that has its own bad connotations. So where should you live? Well, I've found the perfect place, in Montana there are three villages called Past, Present, and Future. in between these little towns, there is a small town called Frank. That's right, Frank, Montana is the place for me. Plus there is no speed limit on the highways, isn't that great.
Honestly, there is no place in Montana called Frank (or the other ones to my knowledge) so there has to be a common balance between today and tomorrow. College is the perfect example, i study hard so i'll have a great future, but i also go to parties and have fun (no alcohol included). but you can't obviously stay in college forever, so in choosing a profession, don't merely choose something that makes money, choose something that you like.... and makes lots of money. so remember, live for the day.... and tomorrow!

"The Zen philospher Basho once wrote, A flute with no holes is a not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish!" -Caddyshack



Not a lot to comment on this, I still don't know whether I found the right mix between today and tomorrow, but I pretend that I have. Frank, Montanta, to this day, is still one of my favorite inventions... maybe one day!
This was also when I wasn't drinking in college. Due to personal beliefs at the time, I decided that I wouldn't drink unitl I was 21. I drank in high school, but decided to change that in college. I pretty much (I had a couple slip ups) made it until my 21st and I really enjoyed it. Many students over compensated for not drinking before, when they got to college. I had a couple of years to realize that drinking didn't equal fun. I would go to parties and be the constant witness for the infidelities of others. I had lots of fun, would talk to all kinds of people and never wake up the next morning fearing that I had embarrassed myself. Of course, when I started drinking I enjoyed that too, but it was good to ease into it, rather than start chugging the minute I hit campus. At the time, I'm sure I was rather preachy about it, but now I look back on it as a great experience for me, one that may not be the best for all. It was fun though to see the reactions on people's faces at parties when they would ask me if I needed a beer and would respond with "I don't drink." It was a challenge for the fraternities to find a new way to rush me.

2 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Hbomb said...

you know what I like the most about you, besides beating you at 3 up 3 down, that you quote Caddyshack!!!!

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger danielle said...

so did you just stop reflecting one day? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home